For many years I’ve been storing my US-sized comics in standard comic boxes…
… and while they are pretty handy for keeping the comics together — and safe — it can be a bit awkward when I need to dig out a particular issue. Because of the cruel nature of this dimension in which I find myself trapped, the comic I’m looking for is always in the least-accessible box. So I’ve decided it’s time to do something about that.
Well, no, that’s not quite true, actually. Ten years ago it was time I did something about it. Now it’s time I stopped saying that it’s time and started doing that something, whatever that something might be.
And that something is to utilise this:
We have two of these filing cabinets here in Rusty Manor, but following a pretty major clear-out recently — during in which we purged a couple of decades’ worth of very old gas bills, mobile phone contracts, guarantee cards for items that have long since broken and been disposed of, and so forth — we now only need one cabinet in which to store important household documents. The other, the one pictured here, now lies empty, in dire need of some comics.
So here’s the plan…
- Dig out the off-cuts and unused planks from the laminate flooring we recently installed
- Cut four lengths at 280mm
- Cut four more at 520mm
- Trim the edges where the pieces were designed to clip together: each piece should now be 230mm wide
- For each pair of pieces, form a T-shape like this:
And the final step is to insert these T-shaped dividers into the cabinet’s drawers, like so:
The top bit of the T serves to prevent the main bit from falling over, and it goes to the front of the drawer because that part’s got a sticky-in bit where the handle goes.
Once they’re in place — and they just drop in neatly: no need to actually attach them the drawers — it’s time to load up some comics.
Each side holds an average of about 220 comics (say about 180 bagged and boarded, or 250 free-range), so that’s 440 per drawer, or 1760 per cabinet.
I only possess about 3000 US-sized comics so I’ll be buying another cabinet soon, but for now it’s pretty handy to have this lot out of the way and yet easy to access. Not a bad result for less than an hour’s work with the power-tools!