As I mentioned before (in Deciphering the Logo), in 1969 the legendary British comic Eagle ended its nineteen-year run when it was absorbed into Lion, which was then absorbed into Valiant in 1974, which was in turn gobbled up by Battle in 1976, and then in 1988 it all came full-circle when Battle was consumed by the ’80s incarnation of Eagle.
On a chart, it looks like this:
But that’s just the reduced, condensed, shortened and abbreviated version of the story. Oh yes — there is more to it than that! Each of those comics absorbed others along the way (Action was merged into Battle, for example), so here’s a fuller version of the graph:
And yet, this is by no means the fullest version of the graph because many of these comics here also absorbed others. Valiant consumed four titles other than Lion. And Tiger, before it was gobbled up by the 80s Eagle, absorbed six different titles, one of which was The Champion, which was launched in 1922 and itself consumed three titles…
I have plundered the archives, delved into history, and gone to very great lengths and back, many, many, many times (but in fairness one of those times was because I forgot my hat) in order to explore the deepest roots and outermost twigs of the Eagle family tree… Just so you don’t have to.
So here’s the full — as far as I can tell — Eagle comic family tree. Please note that information on some of the earlier titles can be very hard to find, and is occasionally contradictory, but I’m a good 96.3ish% sure that this is complete and accurate!*
Update 31 May 2018: Richard Sheaf of the excellent Boys’ Adventure Comics blog has done some sterling investigative work and come up with what we believe to be the definitive and correct number of issues of the original Eagle comic: 987, as opposed to 991 which appears in most sources. However, all of those sources very likely got the figure of 991 from one of Denis Gifford’s many books on British comics, which is also where I got it from. I’ve now updated the chart appropriately!
Update 31 May 2019: I’ve just discovered that the issue-count for Battle Picture Weekly was incorrect: it was 673 issues, but all evidence suggests that it should be 664. I’ve updated the image appropriately!
*Which, naturally, means that I am probably setting myself up for a deluge of additions and corrections from people who are far more knowledgeable than I. But that’s cool — just as long as no one asks me to produce a new version of this any time soon. It’s really hard work!